Dick Van Dyke
When Dick Van Dyke walks onto Rachael's set recreated as the iconic living room from The Dick Van Dyke Show, he steps right back into his character as he nearly trips over an ottoman. "I can't believe this set!" Dick says. "It looks like the old show ... and you look like Mary in color!"
"Now that's a compliment," Rachael responds before asking for a few stories from his new memoir, My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business, including his experiences on the set of Mary Poppins. "Walt [Disney] was there every day; he was a wonderful guy," Dick recalls. "He just kept a certain atmosphere about the whole movie. Every day we kept saying, 'God this is going to be good!'" But Dick wasn't quite as confident when he debuted his Tony-winning role in Bye Bye Birdie. "I had never been on Broadway and that day - opening night - I almost left town!" he jokes. "I was scared to death!"
Although his career is marked with a lifetime of hits, including Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and more recently Night at the Museum, Dick says it all began with a simple idea. "My friend and I drove out from Illinois in his little car to do a night club act as a lark," he recalls. "One thing led to another and we never got out of show business!"
Also on this show
- TV Dinner: Chicken or Chops with “Blubarb” Sauce, Rice with Peas, Wilted Spinach
- Surprise Guest Mary Tyler Moore
- Dick Van Dyke & Mary Tyler Moore
- Dick & Mary's Favorite Moments from The Dick Van Dyke Show
- Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore Answer Audience Quesitons
- Only Online: Bonus Audience Question!
- A "Cake Boss" Surprise for Mary Tyler Moore & Dick Van Dyke
- Backstage Pass: Creating Dick Van Dyke's Set
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook