This recipe was featured in the March 2012 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.
- Corn or vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound ground beef chuck
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (about a scant palmful)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- A small handful of cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- About 2/3 to 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded yellow cheddar
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeño slices, drained
- Sour cream, for garnish
Heat a thin layer of oil in a small skillet and fry the tortillas 1 at a time over medium-high heat until golden and crisp. Season with salt.
In a medium non-stick skillet, heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and brown for about 5 minutes. Add half each of the onion and jalapeño, the garlic, chili powder, cumin and coriander; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste for 1 minute. Add the beef stock and lower the heat to a simmer.
In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes with the remaining onion, jalapeño and the cilantro. Season the salsa with salt.
Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook to thicken, about 2 minutes. Stir in cheese to melt. Place a tortilla on each dinner plate. Cover with the meat mixture and cheese sauce then top with the tomato salsa, pickled jalapeños and sour cream.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook