Spicy Cashew Chicken & Broccoli with Rice or Long Egg Noodles
A spicy make-your-own takeout supper!
- About 1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken (poached breast meat or rotisserie chicken), pulled or thinly sliced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets and stems cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups white or brown rice, cooked to package directions or 1 pound egg tagliatelle (wide egg noodles)
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled and grated
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce, optional
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup chicken stock or poaching liquid
- 1/4 cup Tamari, low sodium soy or liquid amino
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or stir-fry oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 to 2 chilies, red finger, jalapeño or Fresno, thinly sliced
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- About 1/2 cup toasted unsalted cashews
- A few scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- Cilantro leaves, optional
Poach chicken and cool in own liquids, serve excess stock for another use, chop or pull meat. Or, remove rotisserie chicken meat from bones and skin, and chop or pull meat.
Par-boil the broccoli in a few inches of salted water for 5 minutes and drain.
Cook white or brown rice to package directions or cook egg pasta.
In a small pot, loosen cashew butter over low heat then add the ginger, garlic, Sriracha, lime juice, stock, soy sauce, hoisin and season with black pepper. Bring to a bubble, simmer to let sauce thicken and flavors combine.
Heat oil over high heat in large skillet. Add onions, peppers and broccoli, and stir-fry to tender crisp. Add water chestnuts, sauce and chicken, combine, and season to taste. Serve over rice or toss with long egg noodles; garnish with cashews, scallions and cilantro.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook