Roasted Poblano Steak Chili
A little bit of steak goes a long way in this meaty chili.
- 4 poblano peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds sirloin shell steak, trimmed, thinly cut and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (about a palmful) chili powder
- 1 tablespoon (about a palmful) cumin
- 1 tablespoon (about a palmful) ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 bottle Negro Modelo beer
- 1 28-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 pound manchego cheese
- 3 scallions, finely sliced
Yields: 4 servings
Preheat broiler to high. To roast the poblano peppers, drizzle them with EVOO, season with salt and pepper, and place on a cookie sheet. Transfer to the broiler, turning every 1-2 minutes, until charred on each side.
Remove from the oven, place in a brown paper bag and seal to keep the steam in for about 10-15 minutes. If you do not have a brown paper bag, place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for about 10-15 minutes.
After that time, peel the skin off, remove the seeds and stem, and chop into bite-size pieces.
While the peppers are steaming in the bag or bowl, place a large dutch oven over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan. Add the steak and brown, about 3-4 minutes per side. Add the red onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander and smoked paprika to the pot and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
Add the beer, scraping the bottom of the pan with the back of a wooden spoon to release any brown bits. Add the tomatoes, chopped poblano peppers, lime zest and juice, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
To serve, ladle a portion of the chili into a bowl and top with grated manchego cheese and finely sliced scallions.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook