Rigatoni with Ricotta
This is a spring-inspired update of one of Rachael’s family favorites!
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 32-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- A few leaves of basil, torn
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups fresh sheep or cow’s milk ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded or cut into fine dice, divided
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shelled spring peas, par-boiled 3-4 minutes, optional
- 1 pound box rigatoni
Preheat oven to 425°F.
In a small saucepot, heat EVOO over medium to medium-high heat. Add butter and melt. When it starts to foam, add garlic, stir a minute and add tomatoes, mashing them up. Add onion, basil and bay. Season with salt and pepper; simmer 30 minutes over low heat. Remove onion. Add butter to sauce to finish.
Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
Combine ricotta with salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, mint, lemon zest, half the mozzarella and half of the Parm.
Salt pasta water. Boil rigatoni about 7-8 minutes, under-cooking it a minute or so from al dente. Reserve about 1 cup of starchy cooking liquid. Drain pasta and return to hot pot, stir in ricotta mixture, peas and adding starchy cooking water to combine as needed. Transfer to a baking dish.
Pour red sauce evenly over top of pasta in baking dish, top with remaining mozzarella and Parm cheese. Bake until bubbly and the cheese is browned, 15-18 minutes--be careful not to dry the pasta out.
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook