Fire-Roasted Tomato and Hot Sausage 'n' Beef Rigatoni
This recipe was featured in the October 2011 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3/4 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound ground beef sirloin
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 hot cherry pepper, seeded and chopped or 1 Fresno chili pepper, thinly sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup spicy red wine
- 1 28-ounce can or 2 15-ounce cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- Pecorino-Romano cheese, for serving
- A generous handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Char the bell peppers under a broiler or directly over a high stove top flame to blacken all over, turning occasionally. Place the charred peppers in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Peel and discard skins and seeds. Quarter the peppers lengthwise, then slice crosswise into strips.
In a Dutch oven, heat EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and beef, and brown, crumbling the meat as it cooks, 7-8 minutes. Stir in the onion, garlic and hot pepper until softened; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the tomato paste for 1 minute, then add the wine and reduce for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, stock and bell peppers; simmer to thicken.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Add pasta and reserved cooking water to the sauce, and toss for 1-2 minutes.
Serve in shallow bowls with lots of cheese and the parsley. Gild the lily with an extra drizzle of EVOO.
Serve with New Belgium Fat Tire beer
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook