Extra Crispy Jalapeño Poppers
Rachael bakes this version of the favorite game day snack.
- 12 large jalapeño peppers
- 1 8-ounce brick cream cheese, brought to room temp
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- Salt and pepper
- About 3/4 cup grated super sharp white cheddar
- About 3/4 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- About 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/3 palmful
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- About 1/3 cup (a heavy handful) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- All-natural cooking spray
Yields: 6-8 as snack
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Trim the top third of the jalapeños lengthwise, leaving the stem intact. Reserve the tops. Using a demitasse spoon or other small tool, scoop out the seeds and the ribs from all the peppers, making 12 "boats." Chop all of the trimmed pepper tops and reserve.
In a mixing bowl, combine softened cream cheese, grated onion, garlic, salt, pepper, shredded cheeses, cilantro and cumin. Add in finely chopped jalapeños to your taste -- I usually use about half of the total amount, reserving remaining jalapeño for other recipes.
In a small dish, combine panko with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Fill your jalapeño boats mounding the filling up a bit. Roll the filling in the panko. Arrange the poppers on a baking dish, spray lightly with cooking spray and bake until breadcrumbs are evenly brown and filling is bubbly, about 18-20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes and serve.
kitchen tipssee all »
- latest show clips
- celebrity friends
- cooking videos
- rachael between the scenes
- backstage pass
- tips and stories
- be on the show
- set tour
- audience tickets
- rachael's bio
- what's rach wearing
- rach on the radio
- follow us on twitter
- join us on facebook